Our Church History

First Baptist Church of Blanchard began on September 17, 1906 when a handful of members from the Missionary Baptist Church in Dibble, Indian Territory met to formally constitute what was then known as the First Missionary Baptist Church of Womack, Indian Territory. These visionary pioneers began meeting in the Womack schoolhouse located southeast of present-day “down-town” Blanchard on the third Saturday and Sunday of the month. The church soon relocated to Blanchard and met in several temporary locations until the first permanent church building was erected in 1926.

Over the years, First Baptist Church grew along with the town of Blanchard. Ministries to all age groups were added, the facilities were expanded and many people came to know the Lord through the work of the church. In 1942 a team of volunteer workers built the church’s first cabin at Falls Creek. In 1975 that cabin was torn down and replaced by a much larger, modern cabin which was extensively remodeled in 2007.

In 1959, the church formally changed its name to the First Baptist Church of Blanchard. During this time, they also made plans to relocate and build a new church building at 202 N. Jackson that included a sanctuary, pastor’s study and six classrooms. Later, additional fellowship and education space was built, and a youth building was added by purchasing the former Church of Christ building across the street.

In 1993 the church was given 10 acres of land on NE 10th Street in order to build a much larger, modern building to accommodate the church’s ongoing and projected growth due to the rapid expansion of the town of Blanchard. After much prayer, planning and patience, the church family joyfully held their first service in the current building on July 29, 2001.

Today, the church continues to embrace the legacy of its founders by seeking new ways to fulfill the Great Commission by taking the love and good news of Jesus Christ across the Blanchard community and around the world.  In recent years the church has seen a surge in growth in number and enthusiasm as it strives to fulfill its God-given mission by God’s grace and for His glory.  In late 2013, the church entered its new Children and Youth building that provides an inviting and exciting place for our children and youth to learn and grow in Christ.